Follow me and I will make you fishers of men (Matt 4.19)
Matt 5 – Jesus taught with authority.
3. Blessed (or happy) are the poor in spirit – those who know their need for God – the kingdom of God is theirs.
4. Blessed are those who mourn – those who know what sorrow means – they will be given courage and comfort.
5. Blessed are those who are meek (humble) and claim nothing – the whole earth will belong to them.
6. Blessed are those who are hungry and thirsty for righteousness or true goodness – they will be fully satisfied.
7. Blessed are the merciful – they will have mercy shown to them
8. Blessed are the pure in heart – those who are utterly sincere – they will see God
9. Blessed are those who make peace – salt of the earth – a seasoning agent – they will be known as the sons of God – the need to let our light shine – ambassadors of a different way of life.
10. Blessed are those who suffer persecution for the cause of goodness – the kingdom of heaven is theirs.
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! By his great mercy we have been born anew [already] to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and to an inheritance which is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, who by God’s power are guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time (1Peter 1.3-5)
The law of God is something beyond the goodness of the scribes and Pharisees – that will not pass away until all is accomplished. Beware of anger and contempt for others – ready to apologise – the importance of sincerity – a simple ‘yes’ or ‘no’ – turn the other cheek – no thoughts of revenge – don’t turn away from a man who wants to borrow – love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you (the way to be sons of God) – the need to love those outside of our own circle – the challenge of being perfect (spiritually mature?) as our heavenly Father is perfect.
Matt 6 – let our giving be inconspicuous – pray privately without too many words – Father knows our needs before we even ask.
Father, may your name be honoured, your kingdom come and your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us each day the bread we need for the day. Forgive us what we owe to you as we have forgiven those who owe us anything. Keep us clear of temptation and save us from evil.
Forgiveness of others is essential. Fasting in secret as an act of worship!
Trust God – wherever our treasure is, is where our heart will be – a body full of light? – we cannot serve two masters – the importance of life! Consider the birds and the flowers! Set your heart on his kingdom and his goodness and all these things will come to you. Stop worrying about tomorrow – don’t let worldly cares become anxieties – one day at a time!
Matt 7 – we will be judged by the way we criticise others – the need to get our own house in order – don’t throw your pearls before pigs – they may trample them underfoot and turn and attack you.
Ask and it will be given to you. Search and you will find. Knock and the door will be opened for you. Treat others as you would like to be treated by them.
The narrow gate and the hard road lead out into life and only a few are finding it.
Beware of false religious teachers. Every good tree produces sound fruit (good works are not necessarily good fruit). The tree that fails to produce good fruit is cut down and burnt (purification by fire?).
It is not everyone who keeps saying to me, “Lord, Lord” who will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the man who actually does my heavenly Father’s will – like the sensible man who builds his house on rock.
Unless the Lord shall build the house …
Coming out of Babylon – one group continues to use intellect, logic and reason while the other is learning to hear God and obey – the two trees – good works or the will of Father?
What place visions as parables for today that only a few will understand?
One builds with bricks and mortar, the other builds living stones – spiritual growth!
Until we focus on the vertical relationship with Father, there can be no meaningful horizontal relationships!